Electricity bills in summer shot up due to the use of ACs or Air Conditioners. However you can control this by implementing a few best practices. Following tips will will help you to have the most energy efficient ACs which in turn will lower the electricity bills.
- Do not install AC units on walls that are exposed to direct sunlight through a major part of the day during summers. Read Principles of AC Installation. (Link to the Article)
- Reduce air-conditioning energy use by as much as 40 per cent by shading your home as windows and walls. Plant trees to keep the day’s hottest sun off your house.
- Try turning your AC down at night and utilize the "sleep mode" which lowers the output on a timer.
- Keeping a Reasonable Temperature: One will use 3 to 5 per cent less energy for each degree air conditioner is set above 25 degrees C to provide the most comfort at the least cost. Keeping ACs at (24–26 degrees C) can save electricity.
On a hot day – say 43 degrees C – you may be tempted to put the air conditioner way down to 20 degrees C to get the room cool as quickly as possible. But if you can cope with setting the temperature at 25 degrees C, you will not only save on wear and tear on the AC’s motor, you will also save big on your energy bill. Each degree cooler, or warmer in winter, can add about 10 per cent to the running cost. The same principle applies in winter. If it’s 10 degrees C outside, try setting the indoor temperature to 18 degrees C rather than 25 degrees C. It also depends on the external temperature. Generally you’ll get better efficiency by aiming for a maximum temperature differential of about 8 degrees C. So, on a 35 degrees C day, set your indoor thermostat to 27 degrees C. Realistically, most people will still go for a cooler temperature. You can probably aim for a bigger differential if your house is very thermally efficient (well-insulated, double-glazed, etc).
- Using ceiling fans allows you to set the temperature higher because the air movement will cool the room.
- Clean the air-conditioner filter every month. Clean filters enable the unit to cool down quickly and use less energy.
- Have your air conditioning unit checked if the Freon gas level is not correct, you will waste a lot of energy and your home will never be as cool as you want it.
- The gaps around the windows and doors leads to energy loss. Insulate your room properly.
- Buy inverter or split ACs instead of window ACs. They cost more, but they are more energy efficient and consume lesser electricity. Know which the Best 1.5 ton Split AC or which is the Best Inverter AC.
- Switch to evaporative coolers from air conditioners during hot/dry summer days.
You might like to read