About Consumer VOICE
VOICE is an acronym for Voluntary Organisation in Interest of Consumer Education which has pioneered the protection of consumers in India. Based in New Delhi, the organisation has championed consumer education in the country since 1983. Over the years, VOICE has been representing consumers and protecting their interests with policy-makers, the judiciary and statutory regulatory bodies. From 1991 onwards, VOICE has been spearheading an independent and non-partisan programme on “comparative testing of products” with the technical support of Stiftung Warentest of Germany. Its activities have been supported by the government of India’s Ministry of Consumer Affairs besides other ministries and departments. VOICE has among its stakeholders many reputed Indian and international organisations supporting social causes over and above individuals, academicians, professionals and volunteers who work relentlessly to educate consumers and make them aware of their rights. VOICE provides independent and unbiased reviews of food products, consumer durables, financial and banking services and much more. It also runs a legal help-desk for consumers.
What we Envisage
- Build consumer awareness based on scientific facts and complete information to strengthen rights of consumers, especially the right to making informed choices.
- To institutionalise and expand the consumer movement in India to make it self-sustainable.
What We Do
- Empower consumers through testing and evaluation of products and services
- Propagate the concept of “best buys” of products or services in India as is prevalent in developed countries
- Develop a centre for comparative testing, based on the best global norms and practices as a member of reputed organisations like Consumers International and International Consumer Research & Testing (ICRT)
- Educate consumers on good and fair business practices, including their right to grievance resolution
- Represent and protect consumers’ interests with all regulatory bodies and standard-setting institutions
Journey So Far
It is said that great ideas do not need great physical space but great minds!
This is how VOICE began its journey from a single room in Golf Links Road in 1983. At a time when India was fast becoming a consumer oriented country, a group of bright young men felt the need to protect the rights, address the issues and empower the consumers.
Independent and Unbiased Comparative Product Testing by Experts