Honey has anti-viral, anti-microbial and anti-parasitic effects. Its capacity to inhibit the growth of microorganisms and fungi is well-documented. Honey contains a number of minerals and vitamins, including vitamin A, vitamin C, iron and calcium. There are also important antioxidants, such as flavonoids and alkaloids. There are trace amounts of more than 15 amino acids found in honey. This is among the main reasons why our mothers insist that we have some healthy honey daily.
Among other things, honey –
- Strengthens the immune system- It is believed that having honey on a daily basis can strengthen your immune system. Having a tablespoon of honey in the morning for a few months will help you see how honey can boost your immunity.
- Heals wounds and burns- One of the unique benefits of honey is that it helps in healing wounds or burns. All you need to do is to wash the affected area with water to lower its temperature to clean it and then apply the needed quantity of honey to it directly or via a gauze.
- Soothes cough- Having cough and sore throat is common during the change of seasons. If you often become a victim of it, then you should know that one of the unique health benefits of honey is that it can soothe a sore throat and give relief from a cough. You need to just mix a tablespoon of it into hot water or tea to get instant relief.
- Helps in relieving seasonal allergies- If you are like thousands of people who don’t prefer to take over the counter medications for seasonal allergies, but you want to stick to natural methods like healthy honey, then you should have some raw honey. A study has proven that people who consumed high amounts of honey during seasonal allergy had relief in 8 weeks.
- Nourishes the skin- Honey can be the cheapest and most effective way of having great and healthy skin. It is awesome for preventing and treating acne due to its antibacterial properties. It can also slow down aging because it’s loaded with antioxidants. You can also add opening closed pores and boosting the complexion to great benefits of honey for the skin.
Overall, while there are numerous health and unique benefits that can be gained from honey, the extent of such benefits greatly depends on its quality. Not all honey is created equally, and hence the various types do not necessarily provide the same benefits. You should aim for buying organic honey if you want to reap these benefits to the fullest extent. Conventionally produced honey might not be as effective as organic honey for some people.
It is also advised that you keep honey stored in an airtight jar at a place that has a consistent temperature and is away from direct sunlight. This will help in enhancing the shelf life of the honey. You can choose not to refrigerate it because it's not at all necessary and would lead to solidification of honey which can be a bit annoying at times.