The first step towards overcoming sugar addiction and stop sugar cravings is to become aware that you are addicted to sugar or such food items. Maintaining a food diary will help a lot. It will help you to understand your food-consumption pattern. What compels you to binge-eat? Is there any specific time during the day when you are compelled to binge-eat? Do you eat more when you are stressed? Jot down the food items that mostly trigger binge-eating. Having put your first forward towards witching to sugar free diet, a self- driven approach is the next step to overcome sugar addiction. Like any other addiction, one can overcome sugar addiction with constant motivation.
Some Healthy Tips for sugar free diet
- Do not replace sugar with artificial sweetener. This could be dangerous. Reduce the amount of sugar that you consume. Switch to low sugar foods.
- Reduce the consumption of refined cereals such as pasta, cornflakes and bread.
- Get proper sleep. This will help in controlling sugar cravings.
- Have small and frequent meals. This will help you to avoid binge- eating.
- Stay hydrated. We often confuse thirst with hunger. This can in turn lead to consumption of sugary drinks.