Rice bran oil (also known as rice bran extract) is the oil extracted from the germ and inner husk of rice. It is notable for its high smoke point. Its mild flavour makes it suitable for high-temperature cooking methods such as stir frying and deep frying. It is favoured by many for its content of vitamin E, ideal fatty acid balance, antioxidant capacity, and cholesterol-lowering abilities.
Grades of Rice Bran Oil (as per Indian Standard)
- Refined Grade: The material of refined grade is suitable for edible purposes.
- Raw Grade 1: The material here is suitable for making vanaspati and refined oil and not for direct human consumption.
- Raw Grade 2: The material here is suitable for industrial purposes.
The refined rice bran oil shall be clear and free from rancidity, adulterants, sediment, suspended and other foreign matter, separated water and added colouring and flavouring substances.
Consumer VOICE tested 9 brands of rice bran oil to find the Best Rice Bran Oil brand in India.
What is the shelf life of Rice Bran Oil?
The declared shelf life of all tested brands is in the range of 6 to 9 months. Where the shelf life is six months, there is all the more need for the consumer to be aware, particularly if they are buying the large pack of five litres capacity. They must ensure that the oil remains stable within the consumption period.
How Should You Store Your Rice Bran Oil?
Store your rice bran oil in a cool dark place. Although rice bran has high antioxidant levels that protect the oil from degrading over time, it is best to store it in a cool cupboard away from sunlight and heat.
What are Rice Bran Oil Benefits?
- Rice bran oil is a naturally occurring source of oryzanol, a nutrient that, in addition to its antioxidant activity, is often associated with cholesterol-lowering, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer and anti-diabetic effects.
- Rice bran oil has the best balance of saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats as recommended by such organizations as the American Heart Association. It’s the oil of choice for improving serum cholesterol levels and preventing cardiovascular diseases.
- Tocopherol (Vitamin E) is an antioxidant present in rice bran oil which reduces the incidence of stroke, reduces coronary blockage, and helps in balancing the nervous system. Tocotrienols inhibit platelet aggregation and growth of human breast cancer cell. It has anti thrombotic and anti-cancer properties.
- Rice bran oil has a high smoke (burn) point, making it perfect for deep frying and pan or stir frying. It offers a good alternative to hydrogenated oil, which contains trans fats.
Consumer VOICE tested 9 brands of rice bran oil to find the Best Rice Bran Oil brand in India