Covid 19 is wreaking havoc worldwide to say the least. Though this virus does not distinguish between males and females, young and old, race and gender, yet there are certain section of the society who are more vulnerable. Among those are people with hypertension or high blood pressure.
As researchers examine deaths from COVID-19, heart patients appear especially vulnerable. If you have high blood pressure, it's a good idea to take extra care to protect yourself during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. Data from China and Italy -- countries hit early by the virus -- show higher risk of COVID-19 infections and complications in people with high blood pressure.
In China, 25% to 50% of people who came to hospitals with coronavirus had high blood pressure or another health condition like cancer, diabetes, or lung disease. In Italy, more than 99% of people who've died from the virus had one of these conditions -- and 76% of them had high blood pressure.
People with high blood pressure are also slightly more likely to die from coronavirus. Their risk is about 6% higher than the overall population.
Are patients with hypertension and diabetes mellitus at increased risk for COVID-19 infection?
Why some heart patients may be especially vulnerable to COVID-19
High Blood Pressure Not Seen As Major Independent Risk For COVID-19
Things to Remember
- Monitor your BP regularly. Hypertensive patient more prone to Covid 19.
- Hypertensive patients need to be extra careful. As Covid 19 patients with high BP had higher death rate.
- If your BP ranges >140+ (upper) - >100+ (lower), then be extra careful. Corona virus can be fatal for you.
- Patients of chronic illness such as Hypertension and diabetes should be given extra care as they are more prone to Covid 19.
- Hypertensive and diabetic old people should have access to telephonic consultation as they are more prone to Covid 19.
- Government should ensure provision of medicines and other facilities for hypertensive and diabetic patients in the time of Corona Virus.
- Be Extra careful. Diabetes and Hypertension treatment with ACE2 -stimulating drugs may increase the risk of fatal Covid-19