Latest from our Real Estate Blog
National commission directed builder to pay heavy damage for duping the consumer
Booking a flat on the 60th floor proved to be a painful deal for a homebuyer couple who was not delivered a flat as promised by Mumbai based builder Lodha Crown Buildmart Private Limited. When the couple homebuyer decided to own a flat in Lodha, little did they know that their […]
Supreme court enhanced award of compensation and said it cannot go restrictive just because the victim is from poor and rural background
The Supreme Court awarded an additional Rs 10 lakh in a medical negligence case to a lady who was not immediately attended to and was snubbed with the retort that the people from hilly areas make unnecessary noise. The petitioner Shoda Devi had filed the plea before the apex court seeking […]
Builders Can’t Give Excuse Of Approvals, Delay Flats On The Ground Of Force Majeure
The apex consumer commission has ordered that a builder can’t hide behind the excuses of not getting approvals from authorities, hurdles in land acquisition or any other difficulty, for delay in delivery of flats to home buyers. The National Commission, in its recent order dated 12th December 2018 has come […]
Home Loans – Requirements and Eligibility
When you have made up your mind to take a home loan, it is important to note down all the eligibility conditions. You need to determine your repayment capacity and review your monthly income/surplus. The higher the monthly disposable income the higher the loan amount you can be given. The […]
Different types of Home Loans in India
Home loans are a step to convert your dream property into reality. There are many types of loans available in India. Investing in house is always a safe and smart move. The value of land always grows and thus appreciation for the investment can be visibly seen within few years. […]
Homebuyers can seek higher compensation than what is mentioned in agreement for delayed flat: National Commission
Recently, the Apex Consumer Court has passed an encouraging order for consumers whereby it held that builders can’t take advantage of the builder-buyer agreement to pay Rs. 5 per sq. feet per month as compensation for delay in handing over flats for unreasonable period. The buyers have the option to […]
A tale of three builders – Unitech, Amarpali and Jaypee and many many homebuyers
The months of August and September 2018 turned out to be a crucial time for three real estate giants – namely Unitech, Amrapali and Jaypee – as the Supreme Court passed orders against them in three different cases. That notwithstanding, the question remains: are homebuyers protected from errant builders? The […]
SC remands Jaypee matter to NCLT leaving homebuyers in an unresolved state
In a setback for the harassed homebuyers in Jaypee’s projects, the Supreme Court remanded the matter back to the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT). While homebuyers are now upset considering no conclusive resolution is in sight, the SC has said that homebuyers should be included in the committee of creditors in line with […]
Case Study: PROVISIONS OF RERA WOULD BE APPLICABLE TO LONG TERM ‘LEASE AGREEMENTS’ by Lavasa WHERE SUBSTANTIAL INVESTMENT IS MADE: BOMBAY HIGH COURT
In a recent pronouncement, the Bombay High Court has held that provisions of the Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Act, would apply in case of agreements styled as ‘Agreement to Lease’ will apply in case of agreements styled as ‘agreement of lease’ when the lease period is long and when the […]
CONFLICT BETWEEN THE PROVISIONS OF INSOLVENCY AND BANKRUPTCY CODE, 2016 AND REAL ESTATE (REGULATION AND DEVELOPMENT) ACT, 2016
In recent years, multiple laws have been enacted to consolidate the various sectors and functioning of the country’s economy. Examples include Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016, Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Act, 2016 (RERA), and Goods and Services Tax Act, 2017. Quite inevitably, some provisions of the different laws are not in […]
If there are deficiencies in your flat, complain within 2 Years of possession
Any complaint against the builder must be made within 2 years of taking possession of the flat. If the buyer delays in filing of case against the builder for late delivery or other shortcomings in the flat, it is bound to be dismissed on
Case Studies: Flat buyers can unite as one party against builders under Section 12 of CPA Act
This article will showcase case studies on flat buyers who can unite as one party against builders under section 12 of CPA Act.In a major relief for aggrieved homebuyers, justices Dipak Misra, AM Khanwilkar and MM Shantanagoudar of the Supreme Court have ruled (in
Arbitration agreements cannot oust the jurisdiction of consumer forums
In a recent judgement, the Supreme Court affirmed that arbitration agreements cannot oust the jurisdiction of consumer forums. The order will benefit homebuyers who usually have an arbitration clause in their agreements with the real estate companies. Such clauses lay down that in cases of disputes, aggrieved consumers will have to resort to […]
Bombay High Court repels builders’ challenge to Real Estate Regulation ACT
The new judgement by the Bombay High Court upholding the constitutional validity of the RERA Act or Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Act, 2016 rhas brought cheer to the thousands of homebuyers staring at uncertainty due to unfinished and delayed building projects all over India. The parliament had enacted the […]
Tennis star Sharapova charged with cheating and conspiracy
Five-time Grand Slam champion Maria Sharapova has been charged with cheating and conspiracy by Gurugram police. As per the complaint, Sharapova had endorsed a proposed luxury housing project in Gurugram that was later abandoned by the builders, duping hundreds of investors and buyers.In 2012, Sharapova had launched Ballet by Sharapova, […]
Supreme Court cautions Unitech homebuyers: Consumers Don’t Expect to Profit from Your Loss
The dispute between homebuyers and real estate players has now skewed in favour of homebuyers, thanks to various Supreme Court judgements. The apex court acknowledges the suffering that homebuyers are going through for not receiving the possession of their flats. At the same time, it is important to know that […]
Relief for Buyers as Supreme Court stays Insolvency Proceedings Against Jaypee
Here is some relief for home buyers of Jaypee Infratech as the Supreme Court on September 4th, 2017 stayed the insolvency proceedings against Jaypee Infratech after the judgment passed by National Company Law Tribunal, Allahabad at the instance of IDBI Bank Limited. Being unsecured creditors as opposed to “financial creditors” […]
Sahara ordered to refund Rs 84 lakh to 12 homebuyers
The district consumer court in Pune has directed Sahara Prime City Limited, a project by Sahara India in Dhanori, to refund a total of Rs 84 lakh with 9 per cent per annum interest and Rs 5,000 cost to each of 12 homebuyers for deficient service.Between December 2012 and January […]
Section 12 Consumer Protection Act – Legal Boost to Unionisation of Consumers
Corresponding with the increase in exploitation of flat buyers by several unscrupulous builders, a large number of buyers have commenced litigation against builders. Since it may be difficult to fight a builder alone, consumers have taken advantage of the provision under Section 12 (1) (b) of Consumer Protection Act, 1986, […]
- Stakeholders Consultation in Assam to adopt new rules of Motor Vehicles Act 2019 to strengthen road safety
- Stakeholders Consultation in Chandigarh to Adopt new rules of Motor Vehicles Act 2019
- OYO: Your Stay Provider
- Media Dialogue on Hypertension Management and Elimination of Trans Fatty Acid in Telangana
- Stakeholders’ Consultation on Road Safety
- Green Action Week 2019 – An Interactive Workshop with the Student Community
- Workshop on Green Action Week in Soami Nagar, New Delhi
- Hypertension – How to say goodbye to hypertension
- Run for a healthy Heart – An event to sensitise people on trans fat
- Take note of your daily food intake
- Want to keep your heart safe? It’s time to avoid these 5 foods rich in trans fat
- New set of Health Warnings on all Tobacco Products
- 6 Things to Keep in Mind Before Taking an Education Loan
- Should You Take an Education Loan for Higher Studies
- Is Microwave Cooking Safe?
- Consumer Protection Bill, Product Liability and Brand Protection
- 10 Best Reasons to Have Oats
- How to Avoid Artificially Ripened Fruits?
- Oats – Are Oats Healthy?
- Has Microwave Ovens Made Life Simple for Us?
- Thank you for Supporting the Consumer Protection Bill
- The fight against NCDs and trans fat
- Digital Payments and Risks
- Air Conditioner
- The Health-Oriented Faceoff : Mustard Oil vs. Rice Bran Oil vs. Olive Oil
- 6 Secrets to Avoid Getting Scammed Via Misleading Ads
- Top 7 Education Loans for Indians Seeking Foreign Education
- How to Increase the Shelf Life of Mustard Oil?
- Whitening Toothpaste – Does It Really Whiten Your Teeth
- FAQ On Filing Consumer Compliant Online
- Charcoal in Toothpaste – Is it good or bad?
- Is the Ice Cream You Buying Worth It?
- How to Ensure Filing Consumer Court Complaint Online Becomes Fruitful?
- Trust Cannot File a Consumer Protection Case as per the Consumer Protection Act
- How can Consumer Protection Act be a Boon
- Higher Taxation by GST Council will curb Tobacco Addiction
- National Consumer Commission Directed ICICI Prudential To Pay Rs. 5 Lakh To A Consumer For Denying Claim
- Doctor Is Vicariously Liable For The Acts Of His Team Members: National Commission
- Apex Consumer Court Directs Mercedes Benz To Pay Rs 2 Lakh To Customer As Compensation For Manufacturing Defects In Vehicle
- Apex Consumer Commission Directs Supertech to Refund 1 Crore To Homebuyer for Delay in Getting Occupation Certification (OC)
- Benefits of Ceiling Fans: How they Add Joy to Your Life
- Ceiling Fan Buying Guide – Handy Tips to Know Before You Buy a Ceiling Fan
- Surprising Facts About Ceiling Fans That No One Told You
- If you want to Breathe, Protect the Environment NOW!
- World No Tobacco Day – Bhopal-MP
- Critical Insurance Cover – Do You Need One?
- Is Milk Giving Our Children Enough Calcium?
- Top 10 Health Benefits of Mustard Oil
- How to Detect Ammonia in Our Food?
- Frost-Free Refrigerators vs.Direct Cool Refrigerators
- Best Way to Use a Frost-Free Refrigerator
- Dismissal Of Consumer Complaints On Mere Technical Grounds, Defeats The Purpose Of Ensuring Justice: Supreme Court
- National Commission Has No Jurisdiction To Entertain Revision Petition In Execution Proceedings: Supreme Court
- World No Tobacco Day 2019
- Is India ready for E-commerce?
- Lourdes Society Snehanjali Girls Hostel and ANR Vs M/s. H & R Johnson (India)
- National Insurance Co.Ltd vs Hindustan Safety Glass Works
- Moulivakkam Trust Heights Flats Affected Buyers Association & Other
- Ambrish Kumar Shukla & 21 ors. Vs. Ferrous Infrastructure Pvt. Ltd.
- Right to Online Privacy Without Rules
- 7 Things you should know before buying a Health Insurance Policy
- Types of Toothpastes
- Medicated Toothpastes – Pros and Cons
- Wrong Diagnosis Is Not Medial Negligence- Supreme Court
- Buyer Can’t Wait Indefinitely For Flat, Supreme Court Asks Developer To Refund The Amount Along With Interest
- Free Speech Cannot Be Silenced By Fear Of Mob: SC Fines Mamata Government For Shadow Ban On Political Satire
- Charging For Paper Carry Bags Amounts To Unfair Trade Practice; Consumer Forum Fines Bata Rs. 9000
- Importance of health insurance in India
- Why Are Co-Operative Banks in India Essential for the Country?
- You Won’t Believe How Beneficial Food Fortification Can Be!
- English Magazine August 2019
- English Magazine July 2018
- E-Cigarettes Survey Report
- 13 Reasons Why You Need to File Income Tax in India
- Frauds in Indian Education Sector and How to Stay Away from Them
- 5 tips to keep your skin healthy this summer
- Foods to Avoid During the Indian Summer
- FSSAI Announces New Packaging Regulations 2018
- English January 2019
- Big Tobacco-Tiny Targets Survey State Dissemination-Madhya Pradesh
- Big Tobacco-Tiny Targets study survey study dissemination – Tamil Nadu
- Pros and Cons of Branded Curd: Should You Buy One?
- How to Beat the Heat with Curd?
- Facts About Nutrients in Curd: It’s Truly Worth It!
- It’s time for consumers to wake up from their deep slumber!
- Curd vs. Yogurt vs. Probiotics: The Ultimate Faceoff
- Health Ministry Issues Advisory to States to Ban E-Cigarettes
- Big Tobacco-Tiny Targets Survey State Dissemination in Gujarat
- Big Tobacco-Tiny Targets Survey State Dissemination in Assam
- Home loans for low credit scores
- National commission directed builder to pay heavy damage for duping the consumer
- Apex Consumer Court Directed SBI To De-Freeze Pensioner’s Account Stating That “Pension Is For Survival Which Cannot Be Attached”
- Supreme court enhanced award of compensation and said it cannot go restrictive just because the victim is from poor and rural background
- Builders Can’t Give Excuse Of Approvals, Delay Flats On The Ground Of Force Majeure
- English Magazine Preview January 2019
- Panel Discussion – Consumers Should Be Protected Through Strong Laws
- Is Artificial Intelligence a friend or foe?
- Home Loans – Requirements and Eligibility
- Different types of Home Loans in India
- In the memory of late Professor P.K. Ghosh